A website is like a page of a book. It contains a whole bunch of information written by someone. Readers always want to get on the first page of the book to find the relevant information. Search engines are like mini search engines because they crawl through your website and figure out the information. The most valued factor that will rank your website high in search engine optimization. Many business websites do not even know what SEO is all about, and those websites will be lost forever in the bowels of search engine result pages.
What is SEO?
SEO is a big word these days. Search engine optimization is the process of making sure that your business website ranks high in search engine results when a potential customer makes a search through the search engine.
The best part of SEO is that these rankings will be the result of not only long years of consistent blogging but the SEO work you have done as well. The hard thing about SEO is that it takes time for the rankings to come. In many cases, it can take some six months to a year before you see any results on your website.
How Do You Make sure that You Get Ranks?
Getting a keyword to rank high in Google does not take Seo knowledge. Some basic knowledge of making sure that your website content is optimized can make all the world’s difference. Some things that you can do are:
- Keyword Density: The number of keywords place in your website content should be at a minimum of 1%. If you happen to have a website where the main page is not keyword-optimized, you may have a page that is not search-optimized. To make sure that every page of your website is keyword-optimized, you should make sure that you bold out the main keywords in your website’s body.
- Title Tag: You should include your main keywords in the title tag. When you search for some keywords in Google, the search results will show you the websites’ title tags. You can place your keywords inside this tag to make sure that Google knows about it (which will rank your website higher).
- Google Webmaster Tools: Register your website and make use of Google webmaster tools. The Google webmaster tool will help you analyze what Google thinks about your website. It will show you details about how Google views your website and the steps you need to take for Google to rank your website high.
- Keyword Density: You should strive for a keyword density of 4% – 6%. This means that for every 100 words of your website, you should 4 – 6 keywords should be used.
- Anchor Text: Using the keywords as anchor text will boost your search engine rankings. So if you want to rank number one for a particular keyword, make sure you use that keyword as anchor text.
- Page size: Search Engines don’t like to be cram-packed with junk. Your web pages should be a minimum of 100kb.
- Error 404: You must avoid error 404 pages because a 404 error message tells Search Engines that the page cannot be found. You must either include a link to the page that can be found or include a sitemap so that Search Engines can find the page that can be found.
- Freshness: Search Engines love fresh content and watch how long a page takes to load. It is recommended that you update your website content at least once a month.
- Technology: Make sure that you use HTML Version 4 for your web-pages. Outdated software will slowly cook in the Internet Engine slang that is used.
- Backlinks: A backlink is simply a link to your website from other sites. Please note that it is not a vote that you should seek for. The search engine decides on that. More the number of credible backlinks your website will rank high in the search results.
- Ethical Search Engine Optimization: There is no way you can make a fool out of a search engine so they can rank your web page high. Always build your links honestly and ethically.
- Understand and Use Robots.txt file: Robots.txt is actually a file that you must use to ban or restrict a search engine spider to crawl an unwanted file from your web site. This file is most useful if you take care of a large super important site and prevent spiders from indexing it.
- Your Outgoing Links: If those links are not directed to your site, they are actually of no use. Also, make sure that the links are not related to your site.